Lag on Online Gaming [PS4]

fudgybadger

Lag on Online Gaming [PS4]

Post by fudgybadger »

The issue is that I suffer from lag during online gaming, mainly FIFA 15.

I bought the 7800DXL for £140 expecting a top quality product, however...

When only my PC and PS4 are connected to the router the game play does not lag however when another device is connected the game play will start to lag DRASTICALLY, now I understand that the issue is partly caused by my low internet speeds.

Down (4.2mbps)
Up (0.38mbps)

However, I do not feel that the lag should be as bad as it is, it's unplayable if my sister is streaming a TV show on netflix at the same time I want to play on my PS4.

I am using the 2.4ghz connection on my PS4 and would like some advice on how I can optimise my routers ability to not only enhance my download speeds but stop this horrid lag, I am also using the firmware out of the box because I only just purchased the router and also have no idea how to revert the update if I have an issue.

Thanks!
billion_fan

Re: Lag on Online Gaming [PS4]

Post by billion_fan »

fudgybadger wrote:The issue is that I suffer from lag during online gaming, mainly FIFA 15.

I bought the 7800DXL for £140 expecting a top quality product, however...

When only my PC and PS4 are connected to the router the game play does not lag however when another device is connected the game play will start to lag DRASTICALLY, now I understand that the issue is partly caused by my low internet speeds.

Down (4.2mbps)
Up (0.38mbps)

However, I do not feel that the lag should be as bad as it is, it's unplayable if my sister is streaming a TV show on netflix at the same time I want to play on my PS4.

I am using the 2.4ghz connection on my PS4 and would like some advice on how I can optimise my routers ability to not only enhance my download speeds but stop this horrid lag, I am also using the firmware out of the box because I only just purchased the router and also have no idea how to revert the update if I have an issue.

Thanks!
Can you post a screen capture of your xDSL page so I can check your ADSL stats out and see if we can increase your download speeds (we can't tweak your upload speeds)

The plan is to try and increase your download speeds, then if needed we try some QOS rules to see if that helps.(unfortunately streaming shows/movies will use most of your 4.2mbps and will not leave enough bandwidth for gaming as well)
fudgybadger

Post by fudgybadger »

Thanks for the reply, and yes I realise my download speeds are very slow (I live in a rural area) it's just that I bought this router as a solution to my issues and I just need some advice on what to do! :D

billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Try a SNR value of 4096 found under 'Configuration >> WAN >> SNR'
fudgybadger

Post by fudgybadger »

billion_fan wrote:Try a SNR value of 4096 found under 'Configuration >> WAN >> SNR'
Thanks, will see if it makes a difference.
fudgybadger

Post by fudgybadger »

I don't think this has really made much of a difference to my download speed, any other ideas? :)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

fudgybadger wrote:I don't think this has really made much of a difference to my download speed, any other ideas? :)
What is you sync rate like now?
fudgybadger

Post by fudgybadger »

Rate (Kbps) 6784
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

fudgybadger wrote:Rate (Kbps) 6784
so its a improvement, try setting up a QOS rule as shown on the attached screen shot

Once done, use the 'Static IP Lease List' option found under 'LAN' to set a static IP to your ps4 outside the range we entered in the QOS rule (so the PS4 should not have any traffic shaping only devices within the range we entered within the QOS rule will be limited)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fudgybadger

Post by fudgybadger »

I tried this and even when giving the device a static IP to change it's IP out of the default range I noticed the device was being hindered in its connection, what am I doing wrong in regards to changing the devices IP under the 'Static IP Lease List'
option?

I tried it with my PC also and my PC was also being altered by the QOS rule, I think I am doing something wrong.