VPN possibilities with 7800N

alajr_uk

VPN possibilities with 7800N

Post by alajr_uk »

Hi folks

I've had a 7800N for a few years on my Sky connection and it's worked extremely reliably.

I'm off abroad for a few months and was interested in a setup where I could make use of my existing VPN to connect back to UK services. I can do this fine on my Windows PC or Android phone/tablet, however I wondered if I took my 7800N with me there was a way to get it to work there?

I know there's VPN options in this router, however from my reading so far it seems to be mainly for PPTP to a specific machine, with no DNS suppport or ability to connect multiple devices?

I'm look for a setup akin to this one - http://www.popcorn-tv.com/pwpcontrol.php?pwpID=11777 - where the 7800N plugs in to an existing DSL or cable router and then provides a UK wireless access point.

Is this at all do-able or am I barking up the wrong tree with this particular model of router?

Many thanks :)
billion_fan

Re: VPN possibilities with 7800N

Post by billion_fan »

alajr_uk wrote:Hi folks

I've had a 7800N for a few years on my Sky connection and it's worked extremely reliably.

I'm off abroad for a few months and was interested in a setup where I could make use of my existing VPN to connect back to UK services. I can do this fine on my Windows PC or Android phone/tablet, however I wondered if I took my 7800N with me there was a way to get it to work there?

I know there's VPN options in this router, however from my reading so far it seems to be mainly for PPTP to a specific machine, with no DNS suppport or ability to connect multiple devices?

I'm look for a setup akin to this one - http://www.popcorn-tv.com/pwpcontrol.php?pwpID=11777 - where the 7800N plugs in to an existing DSL or cable router and then provides a UK wireless access point.

Is this at all do-able or am I barking up the wrong tree with this particular model of router?

Many thanks :)
No won't be possible as the DNS servers won't be passed over and traffic will not be routed through the VPN tunnel
alajr_uk

Re: VPN possibilities with 7800N

Post by alajr_uk »

Thanks, that's very helpful - I was suspicious this was the case from what I had read but thought it best to confirm. Will look at a DD-WRT router instead.