Replacement T-Link Antennas Not Working On 7800N

tjh392

Replacement T-Link Antennas Not Working On 7800N

Post by tjh392 »

Hi all,

Recently bought a 7800N and I've been very happy with it. I decided to upgrade the stock antenna's with the 8dbi T-Link onmi antennas (TL-ANT2408CL) and as soon as I did it kills the connection. By this I mean the phone is still connected via WIFI but is no longer able to access any websites. I have tested the unit by putting back the original antennas and it works fine.

So instead I tried it with 1 of the T-Link antennas and 2 stock Billion ones and it works without any issues. Soon as introduce another T-Link antenna (2 out of 3) the connection speed drops by half (tested a few times to ensure it wasn't an ISP issue) when I bring in the third T-Link attends it kills it altogether. Any idea why this is occurring?

Also when I forget the network and attempt to connect back to the router I'm unable to as it says the password is incorrect. This is only fixed when I plug in an original Billion antenna and it then accepts the password.

I find it unlikely that I have 3 faulty antennas, but it does seem strange.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks
Tim
tjh392

Re: Replacement T-Link Antennas Not Working On 7800N

Post by tjh392 »

Still no luck, any ideas why this might not be working?

I've seen other posts where users have suggested using these and they work perfectly.

Tim
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

tjh392 wrote:Still no luck, any ideas why this might not be working?

I've seen other posts where users have suggested using these and they work perfectly.

Tim
I've also come across a post where they worked fine on the 7800N - perhaps they are defective and you should ask about a RMA from where you bought them, but I think you should have done something about them before now.
tjh392

Post by tjh392 »

Tomken wrote:
tjh392 wrote:Still no luck, any ideas why this might not be working?

Tim
I've also come across a post where they worked fine on the 7800N - perhaps they are defective and you should ask about a RMA from where you bought them, but I think you should have done something about them before now.
Hi Tomken,

Thanks for the reply. I thought it would be strange if all 3 were defective so I gave them another go after posting. Rather than have them all upright I'd angled them at 45 degrees after seeing another post whilst the unit was off and after turning it back on it worked like a charm. Can't believe it was that simple.
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

Wonder if they are cancelling each other out as you said just one with the originals worked fine but reduced when using a second.

I have heard of angling antennas, also having one perpendicular to the router so as to give maximum coverage.

I don't know how far away from the router you are working, but you could try experimenting with the angles and opening a command prompt and entering netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid to see if it makes any difference to the signal strength %.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Just as a confirmation - I have the exact same three TP-Link (TL-ANT2408CL) antennas fitted to my Billion Bipac 7800N and they have always worked just fine.
tjh392

Post by tjh392 »

summermobile wrote:Also when I forget the network and attempt to connect back to the router I'm unable to as it says the password is incorrect. This is only fixed when I plug in an original Billion antenna and it then accepts the password.
Sounds exactly like the situation I had.

I've been using the same T-Link antennas for over a month now and it's worked flawlessly.

Try turning off the router, replacing the 3 original Billion antennas with the T-Link ones and then turn the router back on. Don't have all 3 antennas standing upright. Make sure either side of the router is at a 45 degree angle like so:

Try connecting to the router then.