Sky broadband issues

Carrot Cruncher

Re: Sky broadband issues

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Many thanks for the explanation. It has just happened again and Sky have now escalated the problem.
Carrot Cruncher

After spending three hours on the phone with three different people, I have now been advised by Sky that they won't support me because I'm not using a Sky router. My old Netgear Sky router died years ago. They've offered to sell me a new router for £29.99 (+P&P) without any warranty. I would take this opportunity to switch provider but I only just re-contracted with them last month, how annoying.

They didn't even seem to understand what I was telling them and simply kept repeating that everything was fine at there end so it must be my router that is causing the problem.

Could this logical problem be caused by a physical line problem? I'm not seeing any DSL line drops being reported but, is there any point in me swapping out filters, drop cables, etc. before investing in a new router? Cheers.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:After spending three hours on the phone with three different people, I have now been advised by Sky that they won't support me because I'm not using a Sky router. My old Netgear Sky router died years ago. They've offered to sell me a new router for £29.99 (+P&P) without any warranty. I would take this opportunity to switch provider but I only just re-contracted with them last month, how annoying.

They didn't even seem to understand what I was telling them and simply kept repeating that everything was fine at there end so it must be my router that is causing the problem.

Could this logical problem be caused by a physical line problem? I'm not seeing any DSL line drops being reported but, is there any point in me swapping out filters, drop cables, etc. before investing in a new router? Cheers.
As it seems its just the PPP connection dropping out, I don't think its a line issue otherwise the line would drop the sync, I think its more of a issue with the exchange

I think it might be best to test another router on the line, to verify but I also noticed this message " No response to 6 echo-requests" at the start of your logs, which also responds to the LCP echo issue
catonkatonk

Post by catonkatonk »

billion_fan wrote:
catonkatonk wrote:Anyone else having issues with Sky Broadband (regular ol ADSL) for the last few weeks?
My trusty 7800N has had a solid connection for literally over a year, but recently the connection drops out about once a day and the only way I can restore it is by restarting the router. The drop-outs don't seem to be related to activity (indeed, I sometimes come from work to find the connection has dropped out, even though it's not been used at all).
I've updated my firmware to 1.06h.dt2 but it's had no effect.
Have you found if the DSL line is dropping or just the PPP connection??

Either way if the device has been fine for over a year I don't think the router will be the problem, maybe you can swap the 7800N for a Sky provided modem/router and see if the same issue occurs, if it does, then you will have to contact Sky and report the fault
Just the PPP connection. I'll try and provide a log next time it happens, after which I'll temporarily switch to the Sky router and report back.
It definitely seems to me that Sky have changed something on their end, but that frustrates matters because they only support their own hardware (and last time I checked, their own hardware didn't even have gigabit ports so it's useless for my home network, urgh).
Carrot Cruncher

billion_fan wrote:
Carrot Cruncher wrote:After spending three hours on the phone with three different people, I have now been advised by Sky that they won't support me because I'm not using a Sky router. My old Netgear Sky router died years ago. They've offered to sell me a new router for £29.99 (+P&P) without any warranty. I would take this opportunity to switch provider but I only just re-contracted with them last month, how annoying.

As it seems its just the PPP connection dropping out, I don't think its a line issue otherwise the line would drop the sync, I think its more of a issue with the exchange

I think it might be best to test another router on the line, to verify but I also noticed this message " No response to 6 echo-requests" at the start of your logs, which also responds to the LCP echo issue
Thanks again. Have now spoken to a very helpful guy in the Sky customer services department who has arranged to have a new Sky hub sent out to me. I'll use this to do some testing when it turns up, as the problem is still occurring with my 7800. At least I can use this to get Sky to fully investigate the problem, even though I don't want to use the hub long term.
catonkatonk

Post by catonkatonk »

My log reveals the same error as Carrot Cruncher:

Sep 20 11:08:31 daemon pppd[6815]: Couldn't increase MTU to 1500.
Sep 20 11:08:40 daemon pppd[6815]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Sep 20 11:08:40 daemon pppd[6815]: Connection terminated.

Could it be resolved by changing the MTU on the router? It's currently set to 1492.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

catonkatonk wrote:My log reveals the same error as Carrot Cruncher:

Sep 20 11:08:31 daemon pppd[6815]: Couldn't increase MTU to 1500.
Sep 20 11:08:40 daemon pppd[6815]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Sep 20 11:08:40 daemon pppd[6815]: Connection terminated.

Could it be resolved by changing the MTU on the router? It's currently set to 1492.
Its not a MTU issue, the Couldn't increase MTU to 1500 log is always there .

See my previous reply about the 'LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests '
Carrot Cruncher

Got my new Sky router (SR102) and it was up for over a week without any problem. I noticed that it was using a MTU of 1500 so, I changed my 7800 from MTU 1492 to MTU 1500 and swapped it back in (I also see the "Couldn't increase MTU to 1500." message in the logs), but within 48 hours the same problem had reoccurred.

I've currently got the 7800 using EWAN as the DMZ device behind the SR102 and this has been working fine for the last few days. Unfortunately the SR102 doesn't have a pure bridge mode so I can't get the 7800 to use the external IP address (which I need).
Grandpa79

Post by Grandpa79 »

HI I opened a post a few months back where I was experiencing the same issue with the PPPOA session dropping and the router logs of the 7800N displaying

pppd[5085]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

The router would drop the session repeatedly usually in a 48 hour period and a reset would resolve the connection issue until it happened again.

I'm with a different ISP xilo on one of their LLU products I never did get to the bottom of this - I was told at the time that they couldn't alter the LCP timing as I was the only customer reporting this error.

I ended up using an old Netgear router and after initial issues I have managed to remain connected in excess of 15 days and the only time the connection has dropped has been user requested or due to spontaneous router reboots.

I don't mean to hijack the post but I thought it was odd that my billion 7800n was recording the same LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests after the PPPOA session dropped

As I said I never did get to the bottom of the issue, and have since stopped using the billion 7800n (which is upsetting as I did love my 7800n)