Trying to resolve adsl connection issues - Need suggestions.

billion_fan

Re: Trying to resolve adsl connection issues - Need suggesti

Post by billion_fan »

Grandpa79 wrote:Just experienced another drop but again no re-sync of the line, router reported no response after 6 echo requests then the connection dropped but then was re established instantly.

I have just changed the ADSL port to the PPPOE settings you suggested in your previous post and after the reboot it connected just fine.
I have set up router stats lite and am monitoring Noise margin on down and up stream to see if there is any burst of noise, although if it was down to noise I would have thought it would cause a re-sync/retrain.

I have also set the modulation to ADSL2 just to see if it makes any difference, would limiting the connection to ADSL 2 as oppose to ADSL 2+ generate different line stats regards sync speed and SNR? (if someone out there could answer this question that would be awesome)

The billion was recommended as its a broadcom chipset and works well with the equipment at the exchange/ISP or whatever it's odd as I don't remember experiencing drops as frequently in the past, the only thing I have left to try is another router I have a draytek 2710 but will have to update firmware *Sigh* and I could never get UPnP working with games consoles on the draytek.

I'm not really sure where to go next with this I guess Fibre haha. I was really hoping the whole "stuck port at the exchange" issue would resolve any line issues I have no idea how to rule things out of figuring out just what is going on with the connection.

Thanks
The difference between ADSL 2 and ADSL2+ is the max sync speed value, with ADSL 2+ the speeds are upto 24mbps, with ADSL 2 speeds upto 12mbps
Grandpa79

Post by Grandpa79 »

Well had a nightmare yesterday the connection kept dropping, even with the edited ADSL profile. I tried a Draytek 2710n and it dropped 3 or 4 times in 10 minutes.

I dug out a rather old netgear router and it has remained connected for 28 hrs (may have cursed myself by typing that)

What I have noticed is the SNR on the upsteam is 12.5 on the netgear, but on the billion its reported as 6.0 could the low SNR on the upstream with the billion cause the errors I am seeing?

I dug out some old router logs and think that the upstream SNR was never this low in the past. Am I onto something? I did monitor the SNR and didn't see any changes when the billion was connected, when the session dropped - I really am starting to think the fixed line profiles are at fault here as the trouble I am having only started after the line profile was reset due to the "stuck port". Even with an upstream cap the SNR remains the same so that wouldn't help really would it?

I also googled and got a few results about issues with certain broadcom chipsets and exchange equipment but this is going back to 2011/2012 surely things would have changed in 3 years... I did see 2 or 3 posts regarding C&W who are responsible for the packages I am on with my ISP.

The strangest thing is if the billion reports an authentication error it still connects and checking the radius history on my customer portal it doesn't log the error just shows error free connections for login/connecting.

I have a horrible feeling all my issues over the last 5 years would probably been resolved if I had changed provider - I'm thinking the BT DLM process would have found a good SNR for my line - the fixed line profile approach doesn't seem to work on my line *sigh*
Grandpa79

Post by Grandpa79 »

It looks like I have a target SNR of 16.5 would it be worth trying to increase this with the billion connected I know it would affect bandwidth but at this point I am really thinking my issues maybe related to the new line profile I did google SNR tweaking with the billion but all info was related to lowering the SNR - anyway to increase it by 50% for example thru the billion itself?
Also can any one explain or point my to info regarding how the upstream SNR is set? The netgear remained connected for 48 hours no issues with the higher upstream snr reported via router stats, but then I had a power cut :/ (thx to a toaster) so I am back to a waiting game to see if I run into problems.

Thx
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Grandpa79 wrote:It looks like I have a target SNR of 16.5 would it be worth trying to increase this with the billion connected I know it would affect bandwidth but at this point I am really thinking my issues maybe related to the new line profile I did google SNR tweaking with the billion but all info was related to lowering the SNR - anyway to increase it by 50% for example thru the billion itself?
Also can any one explain or point my to info regarding how the upstream SNR is set? The netgear remained connected for 48 hours no issues with the higher upstream snr reported via router stats, but then I had a power cut :/ (thx to a toaster) so I am back to a waiting game to see if I run into problems.

Thx
You can't tweak the SNR upstream value, the SNR tweak will only effect the downstream value, so the only person that can change your upstream SNR value is your ISP (normally if you explain the situation they should be able to adjust your SNR)
Grandpa79

Post by Grandpa79 »

Actually how would I increase the downstream SNR - I have noticed it occasionally reported as 0 and the downstream speed also is reported as 0 and I get dropped packets that coincide with this. I am unsure if this is just a quirk of router stats lite tho, but would like to test increasing the downstream SNR by say 50%

Any help appreciated
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Grandpa79 wrote:Actually how would I increase the downstream SNR - I have noticed it occasionally reported as 0 and the downstream speed also is reported as 0 and I get dropped packets that coincide with this. I am unsure if this is just a quirk of router stats lite tho, but would like to test increasing the downstream SNR by say 50%

Any help appreciated
Try a SNR value of 150
Grandpa79

Post by Grandpa79 »

I am still seeing the session drop, and my ISP has confirmed that all connection drops appear to be user requested from my end no the DSLAM (sp) end.

Not sure if this gets me any closer to a solution - I see the same user requested connection drops logged using the netgear as well. Could the MTU value be causing the routers to drop the session?

I have opened a ticket with billion support hoping that maybe they have seen something similar in the past and have optional firmwares to try. I have seen a few other ppl with this issue on C&W based products so I am thinking maybe its a mismatch between equipment. On the broadbandbuyer website where I ordered the bipac 7800n I did see a note;

1. The router may require firmware modification for certain ADSL2 / 2+ / Annex M DSLAMs. As far as I am aware i am not Annex M tho :/

I have no stone left to turn with this any other router I have available to test is like 4 or 5 years old and no longer supported regarding firmware updates.

And it has been suggested if I was to migrate to a different product this may not resolve the issue ^^

One last question it is an ADSL2+ product would I be able to try and fail back to ADSL G.dmt - Or would this not work?

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Grandpa79 wrote:I am still seeing the session drop, and my ISP has confirmed that all connection drops appear to be user requested from my end no the DSLAM (sp) end.

Not sure if this gets me any closer to a solution - I see the same user requested connection drops logged using the netgear as well. Could the MTU value be causing the routers to drop the session?

I have opened a ticket with billion support hoping that maybe they have seen something similar in the past and have optional firmwares to try. I have seen a few other ppl with this issue on C&W based products so I am thinking maybe its a mismatch between equipment. On the broadbandbuyer website where I ordered the bipac 7800n I did see a note;

1. The router may require firmware modification for certain ADSL2 / 2+ / Annex M DSLAMs. As far as I am aware i am not Annex M tho :/

I have no stone left to turn with this any other router I have available to test is like 4 or 5 years old and no longer supported regarding firmware updates.

And it has been suggested if I was to migrate to a different product this may not resolve the issue ^^

One last question it is an ADSL2+ product would I be able to try and fail back to ADSL G.dmt - Or would this not work?

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.
You won't need a firmware update, and the MTU will not effect the PPP session.

I don't think g.DMT will resolve the issue either, as this only effects the sync method, which does not seem to be your issue.

As the netgear device is suffering from the same issue, it more likely a issue with the ISP/exchange.