7800N configuration changes do not "stick"

Ubtree

7800N configuration changes do not "stick"

Post by Ubtree »

Today I updated to the latest 7800N firmware (1.06h.dt2), with "restart with factory settings" selected, However, when I tried to reinput my configuration settings, they would not "stick": when I input the ADSL username and password on the WAN Profile configuration screen and clicked on Save Config, the configuration appeared to have been saved, but when I went back into the configuration screen the data that I had input was not there.

I tried both saving the configuration and restarting the 7800N but, whatever I did, the configuration did not change.

In desperation, I reloaded the configuration from the configuration file that I saved immediately before applying the new firmware, and the 7800N now appears to be fully working. However, I am a lttle concerned about having loaded the configuration from the earlier firmware, given that the instructions for the firmware upgrade stated that "restart with current settings" should not be used when carrying out that firmware upgrade.

Also, strangely, since applying the firmware upgrade I can no longer log out: if I click on Logout, a "successful" message appears, but if in my browser I go to the router's IP address, I am taken straight back into the the configuration screen, without having to log in.

Any advice / reassurance would be appreciated!
billion_fan

Re: 7800N configuration changes do not "stick"

Post by billion_fan »

Ubtree wrote:Today I updated to the latest 7800N firmware (1.06h.dt2), with "restart with factory settings" selected, However, when I tried to reinput my configuration settings, they would not "stick": when I input the ADSL username and password on the WAN Profile configuration screen and clicked on Save Config, the configuration appeared to have been saved, but when I went back into the configuration screen the data that I had input was not there.

I tried both saving the configuration and restarting the 7800N but, whatever I did, the configuration did not change.

In desperation, I reloaded the configuration from the configuration file that I saved immediately before applying the new firmware, and the 7800N now appears to be fully working. However, I am a lttle concerned about having loaded the configuration from the earlier firmware, given that the instructions for the firmware upgrade stated that "restart with current settings" should not be used when carrying out that firmware upgrade.

Also, strangely, since applying the firmware upgrade I can no longer log out: if I click on Logout, a "successful" message appears, but if in my browser I go to the router's IP address, I am taken straight back into the the configuration screen, without having to log in.

Any advice / reassurance would be appreciated!

When entering your username and password on the WAN page, you must press the 'Apply' button, not the 'Save Config' option. (that is reason why your settings have not stuck, as you never applied your settings)

When click on 'Logout' button, and you see the successful message, you must close down all tabs, and then attempt to login again
Ubtree

Post by Ubtree »

Many thanks for the quick reply.

I had been clicking on "Apply" on the other screens, but there does not appear to be an "Apply" button on the WAN screen. Am I missing something?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Ubtree wrote:Many thanks for the quick reply.

I had been clicking on "Apply" on the other screens, but there does not appear to be an "Apply" button on the WAN screen. Am I missing something?

If you use the 'Basic >> WAN' option there will be a apply button (once you click 'apply' the router will reboot as a wan change is made)

On the Advanced >> Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Profile' page the button is 'Edit/Delete', then Save Config >> Apply, then restart with current settings (as a WAN change has been made)
Ubtree

Post by Ubtree »

billion_fan wrote: If you use the 'Basic >> WAN' option there will be a apply button (once you click 'apply' the router will reboot as a wan change is made)

On the Advanced >> Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Profile' page the button is 'Edit/Delete', then Save Config >> Apply, then restart with current settings (as a WAN change has been made)
Thank you very much for the replies. You have fully answered all my issues.