pppd:No response to 3 echo-requests

ukionthenet

pppd:No response to 3 echo-requests

Post by ukionthenet »

I noticed that when my 7800DXL is idle (i.e. when there are no devices generating network traffic) there are often ppp disconnections, even with very good DSL link.

Here is an example of what happens (even more than 10 times a day):

Jun 29 18:48:58 daemon notice syslog: pppd:No response to 3 echo-requests
Jun 29 18:48:58 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Jun 29 18:48:58 daemon crit syslog: Clear IP addresses. PPP connection DOWN.
Jun 29 18:48:58 daemon crit syslog: Clear IP addresses. Connection DOWN.

in a matter of seconds (usually 5-6 seconds) the ppp connection is re-established and the dynamic IP is renewed, there is no DSL negotiation as the bitrate remains the same.

Whenever I leave a PC connected to the router generating continuous network traffic there is not such issue.

I'm sure that's not (only) modem fault, may be the gateway does not respond to every echo request, but i wonder if there is a parameter to set in order to "relax" this tight rule of the 3 echoes (didn't find it on the settings).

I found that the problem may be related to parameters like these:

LCP_INTERVAL
How often (in seconds) pppd sends out LCP echo-request packets.

LCP_FAILURE
How many unanswered LCP echo-requests must occur before pppd concludes the link is
dead.

Thanks in advance

PS: I'm on PPPOA
billion_fan

Re: pppd:No response to 3 echo-requests

Post by billion_fan »

ukionthenet wrote:I noticed that when my 7800DXL is idle (i.e. when there are no devices generating network traffic) there are often ppp disconnections, even with very good DSL link.

Here is an example of what happens (even more than 10 times a day):

Jun 29 18:48:58 daemon notice syslog: pppd:No response to 3 echo-requests
Jun 29 18:48:58 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Jun 29 18:48:58 daemon crit syslog: Clear IP addresses. PPP connection DOWN.
Jun 29 18:48:58 daemon crit syslog: Clear IP addresses. Connection DOWN.

in a matter of seconds (usually 5-6 seconds) the ppp connection is re-established and the dynamic IP is renewed, there is no DSL negotiation as the bitrate remains the same.

Whenever I leave a PC connected to the router generating continuous network traffic there is not such issue.

I'm sure that's not (only) modem fault, may be the gateway does not respond to every echo request, but i wonder if there is a parameter to set in order to "relax" this tight rule of the 3 echoes (didn't find it on the settings).

I found that the problem may be related to parameters like these:

LCP_INTERVAL
How often (in seconds) pppd sends out LCP echo-request packets.

LCP_FAILURE
How many unanswered LCP echo-requests must occur before pppd concludes the link is
dead.

Thanks in advance

PS: I'm on PPPOA
How is your ISP??

You are correct the gateway is failing to respond to echo requests, hence the router will continue to send these requests until the gateway/exchange replies. This is something you may have to investigate with your ISP

You might wanna try a PPPOE setup, most isp support it, eg BT, Zen, PlusNet
ukionthenet

Re: pppd:No response to 3 echo-requests

Post by ukionthenet »

My ISP is Wind (Italy). I'll investigate with them and even try PPPOE.

As an advice for the technical staff for the future FW releases, it would be very handy (like some other modem/routers) to edit via web interface also the "lcp-echo-interval" and "lcp-echo-failure" parameters in the WAN configuration page.

Thanks very much