Accessing the Billion 8800nl r2 WebUI in Bridged mode

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
Robbrad

Accessing the Billion 8800nl r2 WebUI in Bridged mode

Post by Robbrad »

I'm posting this to either help others or get an idea if the setup is sound/secure

My hardware:(but this should work for other routers)
TP-link Archer C5 1200
Billion 8800nl R2

I have port 4 of the billion connected to the wan port of the tp link.

The switch of the tp link and the wifi then feed the rest of the house with local network and internet.

I set my Bllion 8800nl r2 to bridged mode and this worked perfectly. But I could no longer access my Billion 8800nl R2 web ui.

So I have made a separate group for 2 lan ports on the Billion (port 2 and 3) with the same range as my lan, disabling dhcp and isolating them from port 1 and 4.

I then connect a cat 5 cable from the isolated lan on the Billion to the lan port on the router. Voila I can now access my Billion device in briged mode via the local lan.

Is there anything wrong with this approach? It feels like I have created a loop, but with Lan isolation that can't be. Security wise is this ok?
billion_fan

Re: Accessing the Billion 8800nl r2 WebUI in Bridged mode

Post by billion_fan »

Robbrad wrote:I'm posting this to either help others or get an idea if the setup is sound/secure

My hardware:(but this should work for other routers)
TP-link Archer C5 1200
Billion 8800nl R2

I have port 4 of the billion connected to the wan port of the tp link.

The switch of the tp link and the wifi then feed the rest of the house with local network and internet.

I set my Bllion 8800nl r2 to bridged mode and this worked perfectly. But I could no longer access my Billion 8800nl R2 web ui.

So I have made a separate group for 2 lan ports on the Billion (port 2 and 3) with the same range as my lan, disabling dhcp and isolating them from port 1 and 4.

I then connect a cat 5 cable from the isolated lan on the Billion to the lan port on the router. Voila I can now access my Billion device in briged mode via the local lan.

Is there anything wrong with this approach? It feels like I have created a loop, but with Lan isolation that can't be. Security wise is this ok?
Sounds ok to me :D

Security wise you should be fine, as the 8800NL R2 is in 'Bridge' mode, really it the TP-link that needs to configured for security as this the device that obtains your public WAN IP and should protect all clients from external intrusions (the 8800NL R2 does not obtain a WAN IP in 'Bridge' mode)
BFUMXXXX

Re: Accessing the Billion 8800nl r2 WebUI in Bridged mode

Post by BFUMXXXX »

Too late for you now but maybe the Billion (modem) and router were on different subnets, mine were; Modem on 192.168.1.0 network and Synology router on 10.0.4.0.

These won't talk to each other (other than to establish the internet connection), my solution connect to the Billion with my old laptop, just set a fixed address on it, anything but these three addresses, 192.168.1.254 (the Billion itself) and 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.1.255 Any good IPv4 tutorial will explain why.