BiPAC 8800NL R2 - Slow Broadband

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
symphonyx

BiPAC 8800NL R2 - Slow Broadband

Post by symphonyx »

Hi all,

I'm new on this forum, so I apologise if this topic has been covered.

I need help. I'm on Origin Broadband VDSL(FTTC). Origin are using BT infrastructure to sell their services. My normal download speed is 17Mbps & upload speed is around 2Mbps. Two weeks ago the download speed dropped down to 10Mbps. The upload was unchanged. From Origin told me that everything was fine and the problem is in my house and a BT engineer must come to inspect it but this will cost me £108.

Now, nothing has changed on my end. I had a bitter experience with BT many years ago and I decided to replace my router instead. I bought BiPAC 8800NL R2 and installed 2.52.d15 firmware straight away.

My download speed is still 10Mbps. So, nothing has changed at all. Has anybody had a similar experience? Do I need to tweak some of the settings? Any help will be highly appreciated!

Best regards,
Cal
billion_fan

Re: BiPAC 8800NL R2 - Slow Broadband

Post by billion_fan »

symphonyx wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:49 pm Hi all,

I'm new on this forum, so I apologise if this topic has been covered.

I need help. I'm on Origin Broadband VDSL(FTTC). Origin are using BT infrastructure to sell their services. My normal download speed is 17Mbps & upload speed is around 2Mbps. Two weeks ago the download speed dropped down to 10Mbps. The upload was unchanged. From Origin told me that everything was fine and the problem is in my house and a BT engineer must come to inspect it but this will cost me £108.

Now, nothing has changed on my end. I had a bitter experience with BT many years ago and I decided to replace my router instead. I bought BiPAC 8800NL R2 and installed 2.52.d15 firmware straight away.

My download speed is still 10Mbps. So, nothing has changed at all. Has anybody had a similar experience? Do I need to tweak some of the settings? Any help will be highly appreciated!

Best regards,
Cal
There's nothing you can tweak on the VDSL side.

All you can do is check the DSL stats to check the sync speeds, also make sure the router is plugged to the first phone socket that comes into the house, and not running off any DSL extension cable
symphonyx

Post by symphonyx »

Thank you, Billion fan.

The router is plugged in BT MK4 face plate - the only one in the house.
My PC is connected to the router with a LAN cable.
The telephone cable is unplugged in case of noise related issues(I don't use landline anyway).
WI-FI is disabled as I don't use it.

I've attached screen shots of the router stats & the speed test. If there's nothing I can do, shall I call the BT engineer then? They'll charge me £108 and I can't see what they could do?!

Best regards,
Cal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

symphonyx wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:56 am Thank you, Billion fan.

The router is plugged in BT MK4 face plate - the only one in the house.
My PC is connected to the router with a LAN cable.
The telephone cable is unplugged in case of noise related issues(I don't use landline anyway).
WI-FI is disabled as I don't use it.

I've attached screen shots of the router stats & the speed test. If there's nothing I can do, shall I call the BT engineer then? They'll charge me £108 and I can't see what they could do?!

Best regards,
Cal
The SNR tweaks wont work on VDSL line.

The router is indeed syncing at 12mbps which will explain the 10 mbps actual throughput.

The SNR seems bit high at 7.4db, you can ask your ISP to lower the SNR to 6db if possible and see how it goes.
symphonyx

Post by symphonyx »

Thank you Billion fan, I appreciate this.

I'll speak to Origin and ask them to lower the SNR to 6db.

Best regards,
Cal