How to isolate WiFi clients from everything else?

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
paulr42

How to isolate WiFi clients from everything else?

Post by paulr42 »

I have a 8800NL R2. I am trying to set up a wifi network that will not allow clients to access any other machines on my system. I have turned on Wireless "Clients Isolation". I notice that wifi clients can access files on machines attached to the ETH sockets. How do I block this?

Also, I am attempting to use the router as a wireless access point. Internet is sourced from another network which I have connected to the EWAN port. In this situation wifi clients can also access machines on the source network (tested by typing the ip address into Explorer). Is there a way to block the wifi clients from accessing devices on the network attached to EWAN?

Thanks
billion_fan

Re: How to isolate WiFi clients from everything else?

Post by billion_fan »

paulr42 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:52 pm I have a 8800NL R2. I am trying to set up a wifi network that will not allow clients to access any other machines on my system. I have turned on Wireless "Clients Isolation". I notice that wifi clients can access files on machines attached to the ETH sockets. How do I block this?

Also, I am attempting to use the router as a wireless access point. Internet is sourced from another network which I have connected to the EWAN port. In this situation wifi clients can also access machines on the source network (tested by typing the ip address into Explorer). Is there a way to block the wifi clients from accessing devices on the network attached to EWAN?

Thanks

You need to create a 'Interface Group' for your 'Guest Network'

Example

1. Click on Interface Grouping (once logged into the router under 'Configuration >> LAN')
2. Click on 'Add'
3. Enter a 'Group Name' eg guest
4. Under 'Available LAN Interfaces' select your 'Guest Network' and click on the arrow pointing left, so the guest wifi network should now be added to 'Grouped LAN Interfaces'
5. Click on 'Apply'
6. Under 'Group Isolation' tick the box and click on 'Apply'
7. Click on 'LAN >> Ethernet'
8. Under 'Group Name' select your guest wifi group for this example I used 'guest'
9. Tick 'LAN Side Firewall' and click on 'Apply' (when this option is enabled any one connecting to the guest network will not be able to login to the router either)

That should be it, the guest wifi network should be totally isolated.

Regarding using the EWAN port connecting to another router, you will need to check the main router, to isolate the port the 8800NL R2 is connected to from other ports.
badasss

Re: How to isolate WiFi clients from everything else?

Post by badasss »

You have to make an 'Interface Group' for your 'Visitor Network'

Model

1. Snap on Interface Grouping (once signed into the switch under 'Arrangement >> LAN')

2. Snap on 'Include'

3. Enter a 'Gathering Name' eg visitor

4. Under 'Accessible LAN Interfaces' select your 'Visitor Network' and snap on the bolt pointing left, so the visitor wifi system should now be added to 'Assembled LAN Interfaces'

5. Snap on 'Apply'

6. Under 'Gathering Isolation' tick the container and snap on 'Apply'

7. Snap on 'LAN >> Ethernet'

8. Under 'Gathering Name' select your visitor wifi bunch for this model I utilized 'visitor'

9. Tick 'LAN Side Firewall' and snap on 'Apply' (when this choice is empowered any one interfacing with the visitor system won't have the option to login to the switch either)

That ought to be it, the visitor wifi system ought to be completely confined.

As to the EWAN port interfacing with another switch, you should check the primary switch, to segregate the port the 8800NL R2 is associated with from different ports.