Debugging connection drops ...

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
m1kegibson

Debugging connection drops ...

Post by m1kegibson »

My DSL connection seems to drop out on an hourly basis as evidenced by the "Connection Time" shown on the WAN Status page.

I am now trying to find information that might give a hint as to what is happening. However, when I look at the System Log there is no information whatsoever that might relate to the connection dropping out and re-starting. I have set log level and display level to Debug. I also have syslog running on my NAS and the information shown in syslog is the same as I see on the local router log.

Is it really the case that the router does not log anything relating to WAN connection?
billion_fan

Re: Debugging connection drops ...

Post by billion_fan »

m1kegibson wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:20 pm My DSL connection seems to drop out on an hourly basis as evidenced by the "Connection Time" shown on the WAN Status page.

I am now trying to find information that might give a hint as to what is happening. However, when I look at the System Log there is no information whatsoever that might relate to the connection dropping out and re-starting. I have set log level and display level to Debug. I also have syslog running on my NAS and the information shown in syslog is the same as I see on the local router log.

Is it really the case that the router does not log anything relating to WAN connection?
Normally the log should show a drop in the sync, and once it resyncs it should show the sync rate within the system log.

eg

kern crit kernel: Line 0: VDSL G.993 channel analysis
kern crit kernel: Line 0: VDSL2 link up, Bearer 0, us=9997, ds=34999
kern crit kernel: Line 0: VDSL2 link up, Bearer 1, us=0, ds=0

If you can't see any of these logs, it might not be a line drop but a PPP drop, this should also be shown within the logs

eg

daemon crit syslog: PPP LCP UP.
daemon notice syslog: pppd:Remote message: CHAP authentication success
daemon notice syslog: pppd:local IP address xx.x.xx.xx
daemon notice syslog: pppd:remote IP address xx.x.xx.xx
daemon notice syslog: pppd:primary DNS address xx.x.xx.xx
daemon notice syslog: pppd:secondary DNS address xx.x.xx.xx
daemon crit syslog: Received valid IP address from server. Connection UP.