Few questions

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
MysteryFCM

Few questions

Post by MysteryFCM »

Couldn't find anything other than the 8800NL in the UK so bought two more of the NL' for now.

Have a few questions/potential bugs however (apologies for the amount, wanted to get those I could remember written down before I forgot them);

1. Do the devs actually read to and implement the issues raised by customers? (reading the forums I get the unfortunately impression this is not the case, so thought I'd ask to clarify)
2. Any chance the password spec can be improved? (increase of max permitted chars (at least 300) and of course, allowing special chars without it messing up the ability to login to the router) (critically important from a security POV)
3. UI re-write (not exactly clean at present, which makes things more confusing than they have to be (setting up VLANs for example)*
4. Specifically to do with VLANs, allowing them to be setup on the same page instead of requiring two different pages be visited*
5. Built in switch capability (yes two devices are best for this, but would make things much easier)
6. Log out option (appears to be missing, which means you're never actually logged out until you've closed the shell (browser) - closing the tab isn't enough)
7. For some reason, pointing One-to-One NAT to a switch and/or another router, fails (no error, but connection fails) - it has to be pointed directly at a server (not happy about this) before it'll actually work??
8. Fix One-to-One NAT can't be pointed toward a VLAN (regardless of Exceptional Rule Group setting)
9. When configuring options associated with WAN Interface, perhaps a separate "duplicate to other interfaces" ? (saves having to manually create them twice ;) )

And of course, at least twice the amount of LAN ports (am willing to pay more for it) and increase of existing ports from 100Mbps to 100MBps

I'd also love to see an 8800 version of the 7800DX and VDOX

* At present, the VLAN config is a little of a mess and far too convoluted (one page to configure the port (Interface Grouping), then another that is confusingly named (Exceptional Rule Group), to set up the group - which itself is confusing as there's at least 8 group options despite there not being enough ports to support this? (may be missing something here that just confuses me about there being more groups than ports (as far as I can tell from playing with it, you need to dedicate a port before the VLAN will actually work)?) - as they're both LAN, they should be on the LAN menu, not LAN and NAT (NAT itself should technically be under LAN, but that's just me))
simon194

Re: Few questions

Post by simon194 »

MysteryFCM wrote: And of course, at least twice the amount of LAN ports (am willing to pay more for it) and increase of existing ports from 100Mbps to 100MBps

You should have waited a bit because the 8800AXL is now available which is dual band and has 4 gigabit ports plus a gigabit WAN port. I'll probably replace my NL with an AXL sometime after Christmas.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Couldn't find anything other than the 8800NL in the UK so bought two more of the NL' for now.

Have a few questions/potential bugs however (apologies for the amount, wanted to get those I could remember written down before I forgot them);

1. Do the devs actually read to and implement the issues raised by customers? (reading the forums I get the unfortunately impression this is not the case, so thought I'd ask to clarify)

We, UK support monitor the 'Suggestion/Wishlist' section, and engineers when possible will try to implement changes and updates eg 7800N SKY MER, 7800DXXX android/iphone tethering

2. Any chance the password spec can be improved? (increase of max permitted chars (at least 300) and of course, allowing special chars without it messing up the ability to login to the router) (critically important from a security POV)

Special characters might be hard, as the code used within the software version uses some special characters, regarding the max limit, please post this in the Suggestions and Wishlist section

3. UI re-write (not exactly clean at present, which makes things more confusing than they have to be (setting up VLANs for example)*

I don't think the UI will be re-written, from previous firmware updates, we have the same UI as AU customers

4. Specifically to do with VLANs, allowing them to be setup on the same page instead of requiring two different pages be visited*

You only need to the use the 'Interface Grouping' section to isolate ports, with LAN side firewall

5. Built in switch capability (yes two devices are best for this, but would make things much easier)

The newer model supports 4 Ethernet gigalan ports/dedicated EWAN port/two USB ports and AC wireless

6. Log out option (appears to be missing, which means you're never actually logged out until you've closed the shell (browser) - closing the tab isn't enough)

We suggested this at the start, no update from our engineers

7. For some reason, pointing One-to-One NAT to a switch and/or another router, fails (no error, but connection fails) - it has to be pointed directly at a server (not happy about this) before it'll actually work??

Works here with a Asus RT-AC68U see attached screen shots(One to One NAT with Asus.zip) , one to one NAT is mapped to a internal IP, eg 192.168.1.101 >> 82.xxx.xxx.5

8. Fix One-to-One NAT can't be pointed toward a VLAN (regardless of Exceptional Rule Group setting)

Tested and working here, see attached screen shots (One to One NAT with group isolation.zip) Exceptional Rule Group is for allowing a WAN IP/range to access virtual server rule for added security

9. When configuring options associated with WAN Interface, perhaps a separate "duplicate to other interfaces" ? (saves having to manually create them twice ;) )

Use the edit button to edit your current WAN settings

And of course, at least twice the amount of LAN ports (am willing to pay more for it) and increase of existing ports from 100Mbps to 100MBps

New Model Bipac 8800AXL is released

* At present, the VLAN config is a little of a mess and far too convoluted (one page to configure the port (Interface Grouping), then another that is confusingly named (Exceptional Rule Group), to set up the group - which itself is confusing as there's at least 8 group options despite there not being enough ports to support this? (may be missing something here that just confuses me about there being more groups than ports (as far as I can tell from playing with it, you need to dedicate a port before the VLAN will actually work)?) - as they're both LAN, they should be on the LAN menu, not LAN and NAT (NAT itself should technically be under LAN, but that's just me))

Exceptional Rule Group is for allowing a WAN IP/range to access virtual server rule for added security it is not used for VLAN or group isolation
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM »

Cheers for the response (I did try setting up the VLANs without the exceptional rule group and it refused to work until this was done (packets went no-where)).

@simon194,
Not found them in the UK yet? (I know other countries already have them - checked my local suppliers and Amazon etc, none had anything other than the NL)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

MysteryFCM wrote:Cheers for the response (I did try setting up the VLANs without the exceptional rule group and it refused to work until this was done (packets went no-where)).

@simon194,
Not found them in the UK yet? (I know other countries already have them - checked my local suppliers and Amazon etc, none had anything other than the NL)

Bipac 8800AXL can be found here from a UK retailer - http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/product ... c-8800axl/

Strange about the VLAN's, lots of other customers have this feature up and running without using the exceptional rule group.
MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM »

Nice one, cheers :)