Mail alert SMTP configuration 503 error

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
grumpybear

Mail alert SMTP configuration 503 error

Post by grumpybear »

Hello,
Has anyone managed to get an 8800 AXL to successfully send logs via email? I've entered my email details in the configuration->Mail alert page. I know the details work as I've entered the same in my wireless access point and I get its logs (and lots of them too!). When I click the "Account Test" button, I eventually get the following error in the popup:
Sender's E-mail : XXXXXX@XXXXXX.ABC
email: FATAL: Smtp error: 503 Bad sequence of commands
eMail: FATAL: Send Fail

I'm using 1&1's authenticated SMTP server to send the emails (port 25, TLS).

I just can't get this to work and it's frustrating. So any helpful idea will be gratefully received.

Thank you
gb
billion_fan

Re: Mail alert SMTP configuration 503 error

Post by billion_fan »

grumpybear wrote:Hello,
Has anyone managed to get an 8800 AXL to successfully send logs via email? I've entered my email details in the configuration->Mail alert page. I know the details work as I've entered the same in my wireless access point and I get its logs (and lots of them too!). When I click the "Account Test" button, I eventually get the following error in the popup:
Sender's E-mail : XXXXXX@XXXXXX.ABC
email: FATAL: Smtp error: 503 Bad sequence of commands
eMail: FATAL: Send Fail

I'm using 1&1's authenticated SMTP server to send the emails (port 25, TLS).

I just can't get this to work and it's frustrating. So any helpful idea will be gratefully received.

Thank you
gb
Seems to work fine here (see attached screen shot), try to disable SSL / TLS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adrianw

Post by adrianw »

I also can't get Mail Alert to work

I've tried several different SMTP services and I get a variety of different error messages (or sometimes nothing).

Some of my SMTP servers don't use SSL/TLS security but do require me to override the default SMTP port.

It seems that the Mail Alert configuration page doesn't' allow the SMTP port to be overridden unless SSL/TLS is checked.

Has anyone got this working?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

adrianw wrote:I also can't get Mail Alert to work

I've tried several different SMTP services and I get a variety of different error messages (or sometimes nothing).

Some of my SMTP servers don't use SSL/TLS security but do require me to override the default SMTP port.

It seems that the Mail Alert configuration page doesn't' allow the SMTP port to be overridden unless SSL/TLS is checked.

Has anyone got this working?
Working example above, worked here

Also have a look at the following thread, viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1967&p=6402&hilit=mail+alert#p6402 (the web gui is the same for the new 7800 series and 8800 series)
adrianw

Post by adrianw »

Thanks billion_fan.
I have got the mail alerts to work using SMTP via my gmail id, port 587 with enable SSL/TLS selected.

My own ISP's SMTP server doesn't use authentication and I cannot get mail alerts working with Enable SSL/TLS not checked.

(My QNAP NAS box on the other hand can send email alerts via my own ISP quite happily)
grumpybear

Post by grumpybear »

Thanks all. Not using a secure channel wasn't an option.
I gave up trying to get 1&1 working. It just wasn't playing the same game as me.
Gmail worked like a dream, so I'm all sorted now.
Thanks again.
gb
creiglee

Post by creiglee »

It is because Google blocks sign-in attempts from apps which do not use modern security standards (mentioned on their support page). You can however, turn on/off this safety feature by going to the link below:

Go to this link and select Turn On

https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

Moreover google block an ip when you try to send a email since a unusual location, so, you can unblock in the next link

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6009563

and clicked in

accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha .