New Sky Hub v 8900

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
stevebez

New Sky Hub v 8900

Post by stevebez »

So I ordered SKY Q and go sent a new SKY Hub. I subsequently cancelled the SKY Q installation and now have the SKY HUB at home. My internet connection on the 8900 was getting very intermittent today and I switched to the SKY HUB and it worked flawlessly. The issue is intermittent so it might have just been lucky with the SKY Hub.

I was wondering if there are any new settings on the 8900 that needs updating for the newer SKY Hub / Sky Q? Would some setting on my account have changed?

Also when I run SKY diagnostics on the connection they do detect an issue when the Billion is connected but not when the SKY Hub is connected but the connection test does pass. The remedy is just to reboot and reconnect anything but to no avail.

My firm ware is d42

Thanks
Steve
stevebez

Re: New Sky Hub v 8900

Post by stevebez »

I should add ethernet is most unstable while wifi 2.4 + 5 ghz seem to work quite well.
stevebez

Post by stevebez »

It just occurred to me that I had an issue with my SKY HD boxes that would no longer record on demand (i.e. over broadband). This is what led me to upgrade to Sky Q as Sky could not revolve this also I could not install MS Office...stumped them too. Anyhow I reset a setting in the 8900 under security URL Filter where some were active. This resolved all these issues and Sky on demand and MS office installed without issue.

Anyhow I was wondering i this was somehow related and perhaps resetting the router to factory defaults and starting over may be advised?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

stevebez wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:07 pm It just occurred to me that I had an issue with my SKY HD boxes that would no longer record on demand (i.e. over broadband). This is what led me to upgrade to Sky Q as Sky could not revolve this also I could not install MS Office...stumped them too. Anyhow I reset a setting in the 8900 under security URL Filter where some were active. This resolved all these issues and Sky on demand and MS office installed without issue.

Anyhow I was wondering i this was somehow related and perhaps resetting the router to factory defaults and starting over may be advised?
URL filtering should only block URL's, so not sure it's related.

If everything is working fine I would leave it as is
lamster

Post by lamster »

stevebez wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:53 pm

Also when I run SKY diagnostics on the connection they do detect an issue when the Billion is connected but not when the SKY Hub is connected but the connection test does pass. The remedy is just to reboot and reconnect anything but to no avail.

My firm ware is d42

Thanks
Steve

Dont worry about that, its because they cant see your skys MAC address when doing the diagnostics, its the same with any other router it only finishes the tests if you have the sky router plugged in, mine is exactly the same.

If you ring them up with a line issue for example, they cant do any of the over the phone tests as its not their equipment, sounds like they have a back door into it as they can see everything you can, Plug the billion in and they cant see anything.

It used to be an issue if you had any issues, but now you are allowed to use a third party router you are fine, they just get a bit funny and wont give you the same backup.