Wifi mac address drop in time restrictions but still has access?

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
stevebez

Wifi mac address drop in time restrictions but still has access?

Post by stevebez »

As per title ... any ideas how this gets ‘through’?
billion_fan

Re: Wifi mac address drop in time restrictions but still has access?

Post by billion_fan »

stevebez wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:41 pm As per title ... any ideas how this gets ‘through’?
Here is a example I used.

1. Connected a laptop to the 2.4ghz
2. Checked the DHCP table and noted down the MAC address
3. Started a ping test to google DNS servers on the laptop
4. Set a Time Restriction rule (screen shot attached) set the time between 9:15 ~9:16
5. Once it hit 9:15 the pings timed out, once it was 9:17 the pings started again (screen shot attached)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stevebez

Post by stevebez »

Hi billion_fan ...

Yes ordinarily this is what I see on most of my devices although one device (my daughters iPhone), with MAC address in drop status setting was able to connect to the internet via WiFi (not sure if on 2.4 or 5ghz though), without restriction. When I do the same for my son's mobile it drops the connection instantly. Really is quite odd.

Ill try the test you did with her phone and see if I get the same results.

Also if time period is not set but setting is set to 'drop' I assume the connection is blocked entirely?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

stevebez wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:39 am Hi billion_fan ...

Yes ordinarily this is what I see on most of my devices although one device (my daughters iPhone), with MAC address in drop status setting was able to connect to the internet via WiFi (not sure if on 2.4 or 5ghz though), without restriction. When I do the same for my son's mobile it drops the connection instantly. Really is quite odd.

Ill try the test you did with her phone and see if I get the same results.

Also if time period is not set but setting is set to 'drop' I assume the connection is blocked entirely?
Yep it should be dropped (the device should still be able to connect to the wireless network, just no internet access)
rich4596

Post by rich4596 »

Newer versions of iOS enable 'Private Address' by default which periodically assigns a new MAC address to the phone's Wifi radio.

That has meant that the restrictions I've put in place to segment particular iOS devices to specific IPs and then put in URL restrictions, QoS etc no longer work. You can disable 'Private Address' in the phone settings but it's easily switched back on.

Unfortunately I don't think I can create specific rules for iOS devices any more.