Connecting 8900AX R2 to Deco M5 mesh system

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
harry66

Connecting 8900AX R2 to Deco M5 mesh system

Post by harry66 »

Hi all,

I currently have an 8900AX R2 which is working fine

But I wanted to improve the wifi signal in various outer areas of my home, so I purchased a Deco M5 system.

I hooked up one of the M5 units via ethernet to the 8900AX and was able to connect to the internet using the new SSID of the M5.

But then we noticed that all the wired ethernet connected PCs in the house lost their internet connection.

I tried to navigate to the 8900AX Admin pages, but I could not even connect to that. I powered down the M5 units - which was not enough.
I then had to reboot the 8900AX in order to restore the internet to the PCs and access the 8900AX admin pages.

I am guessing I need to disable Router stuff on the 8900AX so that it stops conflicting with the Deco system.

Can someone please advise in layman terms what I would need to do?

Also, I understand the Deco M5 can be switched from Router mode to AP mode. would that be better? or should I disable router mde on the 8900AX and let the Deco take over router functionality?

Thanks in advance for your help!
billion_fan

Re: Connecting 8900AX R2 to Deco M5 mesh system

Post by billion_fan »

harry66 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:33 am Hi all,

I currently have an 8900AX R2 which is working fine

But I wanted to improve the wifi signal in various outer areas of my home, so I purchased a Deco M5 system.

I hooked up one of the M5 units via ethernet to the 8900AX and was able to connect to the internet using the new SSID of the M5.

But then we noticed that all the wired ethernet connected PCs in the house lost their internet connection.

I tried to navigate to the 8900AX Admin pages, but I could not even connect to that. I powered down the M5 units - which was not enough.
I then had to reboot the 8900AX in order to restore the internet to the PCs and access the 8900AX admin pages.

I am guessing I need to disable Router stuff on the 8900AX so that it stops conflicting with the Deco system.

Can someone please advise in layman terms what I would need to do?

Also, I understand the Deco M5 can be switched from Router mode to AP mode. would that be better? or should I disable router mde on the 8900AX and let the Deco take over router functionality?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Try switching the deco to AP mode, so the 8900AX can still do the routing etc.
harry66

Post by harry66 »

Cool that sounds simple. Will try out and get back!
harry66

Post by harry66 »

Another potentially silly question but.

I have defined a new SSID for the Deco system, so should I disable the Wifi on the 8900AX?
Or can both Wifi signals co-exist without causing too much interference?
I ask because the 8900AX is close to the front of the house and serves my video doorbell and wireless camera very well.
The Decos are going to be further away / on higher floors.
Plus it would save me reconfiguring then doorbell and camera to use the new SSID...

Thanks!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

harry66 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:40 pm Another potentially silly question but.

I have defined a new SSID for the Deco system, so should I disable the Wifi on the 8900AX?
Or can both Wifi signals co-exist without causing too much interference?
I ask because the 8900AX is close to the front of the house and serves my video doorbell and wireless camera very well.
The Decos are going to be further away / on higher floors.
Plus it would save me reconfiguring then doorbell and camera to use the new SSID...

Thanks!
Normally you would disable the wireless on the 8900ax, as it will not be needed, but if you need to use it, I would suggest setting the wireless channel on different channel to avoid interference issues. eg deco on channel 1, billion channel 9 or 11
harry66

Post by harry66 »

Hi @billion_fan

thanks again for the reply.

So, I set up the Decos and thanks to your advice about AP mode - it all just worked fine.

I have left the 8900AX Wifi on for now and so far no signs of interference - I did not manually set any channel choice on the Deco - but it is currently using different ones to the 8900AX. The 8900AX is set to use channel 6 for the 2.4G and 36/80 for the 5Ghz. Is there any benefit in changing these to Auto? The Deco channel cannot be changed - it auto-selects according to TP-Link.

One thing with the Deco AP mode is that it disables some key functionality - such as Parental Control which I was hoping to use (e.g. to limit Wifi usage for the kids). If I did want to switch the Deco back to Router mode, can you tell me how to disable all the relevant 8900AX router features?

Thanks again - much appreciated!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

harry66 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:06 am Hi @billion_fan

thanks again for the reply.

So, I set up the Decos and thanks to your advice about AP mode - it all just worked fine.

I have left the 8900AX Wifi on for now and so far no signs of interference - I did not manually set any channel choice on the Deco - but it is currently using different ones to the 8900AX. The 8900AX is set to use channel 6 for the 2.4G and 36/80 for the 5Ghz. Is there any benefit in changing these to Auto? The Deco channel cannot be changed - it auto-selects according to TP-Link.

One thing with the Deco AP mode is that it disables some key functionality - such as Parental Control which I was hoping to use (e.g. to limit Wifi usage for the kids). If I did want to switch the Deco back to Router mode, can you tell me how to disable all the relevant 8900AX router features?

Thanks again - much appreciated!
The channels should be fine, if the deco has selected a channel that is not currently used by Billion, (I wouldn't set it to auto)

From what I have seen from customers reviews, other people have set their router to modem only mode, and then set the deco to router mode with their ISP credentials entered eg PPPoE for the WAN interface (something you will have to check if the deco has, I assume it does)

On the Billion side, you have to change either the ATM or PTM interface to Bridging, (modem only mode) depending on your connection (ATM = ADSL, PTM = VDSL)

But you won't be able to use any of the Ethernet ports or wireless on the billion in this mode. (as it will be working as a modem only/non router mode)
harry66

Post by harry66 »

Thanks, @billion_fan.
I need to use the ethernet ports on the BIPAC (if not the Wireless) as it feeds cables into the upper floors and ground floor (to which other switches + the Decos are connected!).
Otherwise, I will have to stick another switch in the hallway which would make even more mess. So, I guess I will stick to AP mode. :D