EWAN Throughput maxes out at 34Mbps? (or just with QoS?)

albany

EWAN Throughput maxes out at 34Mbps? (or just with QoS?)

Post by albany »

Hi,

I raised a support ticket at the beginning of the week but not have not yet had a reply so thought I'd ask here.

I've recently upgraded to the Virgin 60Mbps service. I get a little over 60Mbps with a wired connection straight into the Virgin Superhub. However, when I use the Superhub as a modem (in (bridged) modem mode) and measure speeds via a direct wired connection into a LAN port on the 7800n, my download speeds drop to a best of 34Mbps.

I'm assuming the router can't handle a WAN-LAN throughput of more than 34Mbps. Can anyone confirm?

LAN-LAN throughput is much higher so presumably NAT processing etc. is maxing the CPU.

[19 April 2012 - title edited to mention QoS as possible cause of reduced throughput]
Last edited by albany on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Re: EWAN Throughput maxes out at 34Mbps?

Post by admin »

Pretty sure the EWAN throughput is much higher than 34Mbps on 7800 series. We had figures from head office for 7800 series EWAN of around 62Mbps. We will try and do a ixchariot test to confirm. Also the 7800N has been tested with BT FTTC via EWAN with speed test reaching 37Mbps+ on a 40Mbps sync line so 34Mbps limtation should not be there.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We have ran several tests on the EWAN throughput using ixchariot and have found similar result as our engineers. The average EWAN throughput for 7800N is around 62Mbps. I will post the result details later. Basically I have a PC connected to the EWAN port of the 7800N as the WAN and then I have another PC connected on the LAN side of the 7800N.

PC1 (10.10.10.11) >>>>>>>>EWAN 7800N (WAN IP: 10.10.10.20 & LAN IP:192.168.1.254)<<<<<<<<<<<PC2(192.168.1.102)

So the throughput test has gone through the NAT and I had to create rules to allow the ixchariot ports to come through.
gunny2k9

Post by gunny2k9 »

I now may be seeing the same issue on BT Infinity .. Up to 76Mb Download and Up to 19Mb Upload....

So if we could find a fix id be VERY GRATEFUL, else i will have to start shpping for a new router.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=350
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is our test result using ixChariot and you can see the average throughput is around 61.242Mbps. Please note as we created 4 pairs for the test, you will have to look at the combine throughput.

beegee

Post by beegee »

Hmmm slightly worrying this. We are due to get FTTP later this year, 100Mbps and I got the 7800n with a view to handling my adsl connection until then, and then just plugging into the FTTP termination via the wan port. If it can only handle 60Mpbs+/- maximum through to the LAN I'm going to have to do a quick rethink and look for something which can do the job. :(
albany

Post by albany »

Looks a like I hadn't set notifications on reply up properly. So apologies for the silence.

I can't match those figures. Speedtest.net consistently gives me just over 60Mbps with a PC connected directly to one of the Virgin SuperHub Gigabit LAN ports.

If I put the Superhub in modem mode and run the same test (same cable and PC) via one of the Billion LAN ports, I get a maximum of 34Mbps.

I've got the default QoS and DOS settings etc. but can the testers comment on what settings they have applied? I assume my router is doing some extra processing of packets somewhere but I tried turning off everything obvious that I could see. And that feedback was the reason for posting here and raising a ticket (to which I haven't had a reply).

BTW, with a different router (my replacement) I can achieve over 60Mbps with the Superhub in modem mode - so it's not an issue with the modem mode in the Virgin kit.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Hi albany

It seems other customers are acheiving more then 35mbps with the Bipac 7800N. One customer is reporting near 70mbps which looks good.

Here is a link to the BT forum, where he states (with speedtest.net screen capture found at the bottom of the page) he can acheive near 70mbps. From his posts it seems it was a issue with his setup.

Also another customer on this forum, has reported speeds above 35mbps, which also leads me to believe is must be a setup issue.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/ ... lse#M37127

I would suggest submitting a ticket to our esupport http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/inde ... ets/Submit

I will personally look out for it :D
albany

Post by albany »

Hi billion_fan,

I started by raising a support ticket on this issue (Ticket ID KCH-710-94755) on 31 March 2012. I'm still waiting for a reply. But I think I have already got my answer now.

Looking at that post on the BT Infinity forum, I note that the poster had to remove the QoS Settings to get the 70Mbps throughput. I did that manually (had some settings for VOIP) but did not do a factory reset. Perhaps they were still there in the background.

I see the poster says:-

"After some investigation the problem seems to be related to QoS settings in the Billion.
I imported the old settings into a factory reset working config and my download speed went back to 35Mb.
For those who have issues with the download speed after upgrade, I would suggest doing a back and then editing the backup file and removing the QoS settings."

He then goes on to explain how to edit the backup file.

That matches my experience. Use of QoS = a maximum WAN-LAN throughput in the mid 30Mbps. So too low for some cable, and FTTC or FTTP.

So it would seem likely that the throughput that your tech support people are achieving can only be reached if QoS is not used - which would make sense since the router will have to do more extensive packet inspection to carry out QoS prioritisation.

My device is now on another site running ADSL2+ so it's not easy to test. Can you verify by re-running the ixchariot test with some QoS settings in place? Lack of QoS availability on these high bandwidths *may* not be an issue but it would be nice to understand the choices/compromises open to users on this router at these speeds.
Last edited by albany on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beegee

Post by beegee »

Hi billion_fan

Please see my post just above albany's

Do you think the 7800n will be capable of handing off a 100Mbps WAN connection (FTTP) to the LAN at full speed? Or close to?

Thanks