EWAN Throughput maxes out at 34Mbps? (or just with QoS?)

billion_fan

Re: EWAN Throughput maxes out at 34Mbps? (or just with QoS?)

Post by billion_fan »

Hi Guys

We queried our head office reagrding this throughput figure of 62Mbps on our 7800N and they had looked into it and done some more testings. The result was very positive with a throughput of 90+Mbps ( average or maximum still 90Mbps+). We then verified the results again in our lab in the UK using faster PCs as we thought the previous result might have been effected by the PCs performance. Our engineers even sent over a backup of their config file so we can replicate the set as close as possible. Firmware tested was using 1.06f.dm3 (same firmware we released for Sky 1483MER).

So below are the OFFICIAL test result following Billions head office setup.

1) ixchariot 1 pair

2) ixchariot 4 pairs

3) iPerf 4 streams

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gunny2k9

Post by gunny2k9 »

I live in UK, Milton Keynes... just so you can get the picture

done a few moments ago direct connected to the billion CAT 6 cable firmware 1.06f.dc1 going to flash 1.06g in a minute

and YES BTW i have almost everything on EXCEPT ...QOS ..that is turned off as i never realy had a problem without it so dont see the need for it to be on.

if i speed test on wireless i get between 35 to 54 mb download and 7 to 12mb up..

:mrgreen:

will post back in a mo as will try direct connected to BT modem

EDIT

hmm pc didnt like being direct connect to Modem but flashed to 1.06g result below

EDIT 2
now reconfiged the wireless

and tested ok this is me sat with laptop right in front of the router but just again shows ..

Last edited by gunny2k9 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunny2k9

Post by gunny2k9 »

TO add to results and testing wireless driver updates in 1.06.g

Results from my Desktop upstairs ... (i have an array of hardware for testing and playing around with)

connected CAT 6 to a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND wireless router (Atheros) runng DDWRT version 18777 in Client Bridge (routed) "WIreless Bridge" Mode

will edit in a mo with result

Connected CAT 6 to ASUS RT-N16 Wireless Router (BroadCom) running Tomato Firmware v1.28.7497 MIPSR2-Toastman-RT K26 USB VPN-NOCAT
in Client Bridge (routed) "WIreless Bridge" Mode

prinknash

Post by prinknash »

I converted from BT Infinity 40/10 to 80/20 a couple of weeks ago. I have a profile of 77.43 Mb down and 20 up and using Speedtest.Net find I can get pretty much identical speeds with the 7800N and the BT Home Hub 3. Using the 7800N connected to the Openreach modem through the EWAN port, I'm getting around 74.3 Mb down and 16.3 Mb up. This is connected by cable; wireless speeds are rather slower (c. 39 Mb down). And it may be that the kind of speeds I'm getting from the speedtest can't be sustained in practice. But it seems promising.

p
knightnet

Post by knightnet »

Oooh, this is getting me excited!

Ordered 40MB broadband from Origin Broadband in South Yorkshire over the weekend - they are using the EU funded "Digital Region" MAN FTTC. So not using BT cabinets (BT have no estimate at all regarding FTTC on my exchange). £25 pm for unlimited 40/10 mbps. I never thought I'd be able to get this in our house which still has overhead BT cables and is 5km from the exchange! Apparently, they use the BT cables for the last few hundred meters so no rewiring is needed - I'm 200m away from the nearest.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being able for everyone in the house to watch their own iPlayer streams in HD!!

Thanks everyone for tracking down this issue and reasuring me that the 7800 I brought earlier this year will work well. How glad I am that I chose it with it's WAN port! Never thought I'd actually be using it! In fact I even plugged something into it as I didn't ever think I'd want to use it as a WAN port! How wrong I was.

Regards, Julian.
Regards, Julian Knight
Guihan01

Post by Guihan01 »

Hey, I've had the Billion 7800N for a while now and it is very reliable. I recently upgraded to BT Infinity 80mb and this is the best test i have achieved so far......

Although this seems good i think i could get a better result with a more up to date router?
knightnet

Post by knightnet »

Going by previous comments. Make sure QoS is turned OFF if you don't use it (not really likely to be that useful unless you have some very heavy, wired users) and run at some different times of day to compare.
Also, what computer are you running the test from? Is anything else running (perhaps a load of background tabs in the browser?)
And check your distance from the cabinet maybe you are a bit far from it? 400m+?

I don't think that you will get anything better without going to a much more expensive router.

Regards, J.
Regards, Julian Knight
knightnet

Post by knightnet »

knightnet wrote:Going by previous comments. Make sure QoS is turned OFF if you don't use it (not really likely to be that useful unless you have some very heavy, wired users) and run at some different times of day to compare.
Also, what computer are you running the test from? Is anything else running (perhaps a load of background tabs in the browser?)
And check your distance from the cabinet maybe you are a bit far from it? 400m+?

I don't think that you will get anything better without going to a much more expensive router.

Regards, J.
:D Now connected, speeds steadily climbing but I'm already getting
And that is from a laptop at the other end of the house over WiFi extender network.
Regards, Julian Knight
oxygendebt

Post by oxygendebt »

Can anyone comment on this mythical '10 day training period' and their FTTC experiences, particularly on an 80/20 service?

I had my 80/20 installed 12 hours ago and my Openreach HG612 is reporting a 71 down /20 up sync, and the BT speedtester is reporting an IP profile of >70.

My upload speedtests are c. 16Mb, but I have yet to get past the mid 30s on download.

I have done a hard reset of my 7800n (firmware = 1.06g) but in any event had no QoS parameters in my config.

Any thoughts/advice very welcome!

thanks, Jon
knightnet

Post by knightnet »

oxygendebt wrote:Can anyone comment on this mythical '10 day training period' and their FTTC experiences, particularly on an 80/20 service?
I had my 80/20 installed 12 hours ago and my Openreach HG612 is reporting a 71 down /20 up sync, and the BT speedtester is reporting an IP profile of >70.
My upload speedtests are c. 16Mb, but I have yet to get past the mid 30s on download.
I have done a hard reset of my 7800n (firmware = 1.06g) but in any event had no QoS parameters in my config.
Any thoughts/advice very welcome!
thanks, Jon
Not sure about 10 days. However, I can say that it did seem to take a few days to settle. i say "seem" deliberately, it is very hard to accurately measure when you don't have access to the device actually doing the connecting. We can only go by speedtests which are likely to vary quite a lot.

Even FTTC doesn't necessarily get the full allotted bandwidth, it is still dependent on the last 2-400m or whatever of cable to the house, the larger the nominal speed, the bigger the impact the local copper cable will have.
Regards, Julian Knight