When watching IPTV wifi devices lose internet connection

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
ledgie

When watching IPTV wifi devices lose internet connection

Post by ledgie »

I got a new 8800NL and followed the guide posted here to get Youview set up. All seemed to be working fine until today I noticed that that wifi devices cannot see the internet when an IPTV channel is being watched. If I change channel to non IPTV, they can see the internet again.

Bit of a strange one, anyone seen this?
Last edited by ledgie on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ledgie

Re: When watching IPTV wifi lose internet connection

Post by ledgie »

I presume wireless is being flooded with IPTV traffic when watching IPTV, any way to stop this?
billion_fan

Re: When watching IPTV wifi lose internet connection

Post by billion_fan »

ledgie wrote:I got a new 8800NL and followed the guide posted here to get Youview set up. All seemed to be working fine until today I noticed that that wifi devices cannot see the internet when an IPTV channel is being watched. If I change channel to non IPTV, they can see the internet again.

Bit of a strange one, anyone seen this?
Login to the router and follow the steps below

1. Click on 'Configuration >> Wireless'
2. Enable 'Wireless Multicast Forwarding (WMF)'
3. Click on 'Apply'
4. Test again
ledgie

Re: When watching IPTV wifi devices lose internet connection

Post by ledgie »

Thanks, will try this tonight and report back.
markie

Post by markie »

What Billion_Fan posted should work, as I had the same issue about a month ago, and that fixed it.
ledgie

Post by ledgie »

That setting worked. Wifi is now unaffected by watching IPTV.

One other minor issue I've noticed is that when watching IPTV, incoming network traffic on my hardwired Mac increases, but when I switch off IPTV incoming network traffic stops. This didn't happen with the HomeHub.

To explain my network set up. I have an Ethernet cable from the 8800NL to a router behind the TV. This router feeds the Youview box and the Mac. When IPTV is watched, the multicast traffic is flooding all ports on the router but when I had the HomeHub in place (and otherwise the same setup) there was no increase in network traffic to the Mac.

I suspect there is another option I need to check on the Billion (but don't understand this area well enough). I'll do some trial and error and report back.. Perhaps the LAN to LAN (intra lan) multicast option??

Thanks all.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

ledgie wrote:That setting worked. Wifi is now unaffected by watching IPTV.

One other minor issue I've noticed is that when watching IPTV, incoming network traffic on my hardwired Mac increases, but when I switch off IPTV incoming network traffic stops. This didn't happen with the HomeHub.

To explain my network set up. I have an Ethernet cable from the 8800NL to a router behind the TV. This router feeds the Youview box and the Mac. When IPTV is watched, the multicast traffic is flooding all ports on the router but when I had the HomeHub in place (and otherwise the same setup) there was no increase in network traffic to the Mac.

I suspect there is another option I need to check on the Billion (but don't understand this area well enough). I'll do some trial and error and report back.. Perhaps the LAN to LAN (intra lan) multicast option??

Thanks all.
You will have to setup Group Isolation to make sure the port the your Youview box is connected too, is isolated, so IGMP is enabled and setup for this port only

1. Set the IGMP Snooping Mode to 'Blocking Mode' (normal default settings)
2. Click on 'Interface Grouping'
3. Click on 'Add'
4. Under 'Available WAN Interfaces' move your WAN to the left hand box so your WAN should be listed 'Grouped WAN Interfaces'
5. Under 'Available LAN Interfaces' select the port your you view box is attached to, and move it to the left so it is listed under 'Grouped LAN Interfaces'
6. Enter a 'Group Name' eg 'IPTV'
7. Click on 'Apply' then click on 'Interface Grouping' and enable 'Groups Isolation' tick box
8. Click on 'Configuration >> LAN'
9. Change the 'Group Name' to 'IPTV'
10. Change the 'IGMP Snooping Mode' to 'Standard Mode'
11. Click on 'Apply'
12. Restart your you view box
ledgie

Post by ledgie »

But the Youview box is connected to the same port as the Mac, with a router between the 2, so would what you suggest work in this case?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

ledgie wrote:But the Youview box is connected to the same port as the Mac, with a router between the 2, so would what you suggest work in this case?
You will have to have the you view box directly connected to the router, that's the only option (we can't really comment on how BT Home Hub runs the setup, as you know they don't disclose anything)
evansnp

Post by evansnp »

If I understand correctly, you have '8800 -> network switch -> IPTV/MAC'.
If this is the case, and the network switch is un-managed, then the network switch is the culprit, as it will flood the multicast traffic to all ports.
To make this setup work, the intermediate switch would need to support IGMP snooping too.