Problems with ethernet conection/lan port

billd2439

Problems with ethernet conection/lan port

Post by billd2439 »

Hi Folks,

Every now and again (1-2days) my dchp server refuses to renew the lease for my cat5 connections.The wireless is always fine but neither of the cabled pc's will connect to the internet or the router.The dchp lease time is set to the max (24hrs) and should work fine. The only solution to the problem seems to be a full reboot of the 7800n,which restores full conectivity. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated as I am new to this router and its capabilities. :?:
billion_fan

Re: Problems with ethernet conection/lan port

Post by billion_fan »

billd2439 wrote:Hi Folks,

Every now and again (1-2days) my dchp server refuses to renew the lease for my cat5 connections.The wireless is always fine but neither of the cabled pc's will connect to the internet or the router.The dchp lease time is set to the max (24hrs) and should work fine. The only solution to the problem seems to be a full reboot of the 7800n,which restores full conectivity. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated as I am new to this router and its capabilities. :?:

Does the ethernet LED on the front of the router light up??

Have you tried to set a static IP to your device to see if the device can ping or connect to the router once set??

IP - 192.168.1.200
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.1.254
DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
billd2439

Post by billd2439 »

Yes the lights are always lit and the static ip makes no difference.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

billd2439 wrote:Yes the lights are always lit and the static ip makes no difference.

Have you tried to use the EWAN port??
craigae

Post by craigae »

I encountered this problem, and after some web searching, it seems to be a fairly common problem.

I'm convinced it's a software problem, as even a soft reset restores the LAN ports. I updated to the latest test firmware last week in the hope something might have improved, but it hasn't.
billd2439

Post by billd2439 »

Can the EWAN port be used as a lan port ?
I thought that was only for fibre..\\\\i'm on sky adsl using the dreaded MER protocal
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

billd2439 wrote:Can the EWAN port be used as a lan port ?
I thought that was only for fibre..\\\\i'm on sky adsl using the dreaded MER protocal
Yes the EWAN port can be used as a fifth ethernet port when using ADSL, the port will only connect @100mbps
billd2439

Post by billd2439 »

billion_fan wrote:
billd2439 wrote:Can the EWAN port be used as a lan port ?
Yes the EWAN port can be used as a fifth ethernet port when using ADSL, the port will only connect @100mbps
Thanks for the info,much appreciated. It's now run connected to the ewan since thursday night and had locked out again this morning.Certianly seems to be a software problem. I even tried connecting the laptop via cat5 to see if that would wake the Lan ports but no success.
billd2439

Post by billd2439 »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=753&p=3519#p3519

I've just insalled the new firmware above to see if that helps any. So far no other issues to report,1.06h went on smoothly and signed in quicker than normal.(sky MER(adsl)) :D
billd2439

Post by billd2439 »

UPDATE....... Just for everyone who has this problem, It has now been nearly two weeks and for whatever reason this problem appears to have been sorted. As I said in my previous post I have installed the new software, and since then I have not had any problems. I had previously tried rebooting the router and it made no difference so I must assume the new firmware/software appears to have done the trick. I,ll give it another fortnight and report back.