Throttling iCloud Backup with QoS?

TR1PL3D

Throttling iCloud Backup with QoS?

Post by TR1PL3D »

Hello,

I have a 7800DXL connected to a BT supplied Fibre Modem.

I am trying to ascertain the best way to limit iCloud backup's when an iOS device is connected to its charger.

Currently, whenever an iOS device is on charge, iCloud backups use all available upload bandwidth essentially bringing the internet to its knees!

I am trying to find a suitable solution, however I feel it will not be so straight forward considering the fact that iCloud backup uses SSL over port 443.

If I was to make a QoS rule specific to that port, and associated iOS device IP addresses, I would see issues with uploading photos from iOS devices to sites such as Facebook etc, as they also use port 443.

Is there a way I can specifically target iCloud traffic with QoS on the 7800DXL while not affecting other non iCloud services?

If not, can anyone recommend a possible solution?

Cheers :)
billion_fan

Re: Throttling iCloud Backup with QoS?

Post by billion_fan »

TR1PL3D wrote:Hello,

I am trying to ascertain the best way to limit iCloud backup's when an iOS device is connected to its charger.

Currently, whenever an iOS device is on charge, iCloud backups use all available upload bandwidth essentially bringing the internet to its knees!

I am trying to find a suitable solution, however I feel it will not be so straight forward considering the fact that iCloud backup uses SSL over port 443.

If I was to make a QoS rule specific to that port, and associated iOS device IP addresses, I would see issues with uploading photos from iOS devices to sites such as Facebook etc, as they also use port 443.

Is there a way I can specifically target iCloud traffic with QoS on the 7800DXL while not affecting other non iCloud services?

What I would do is setup a fixed host (static lease) for the device (meaning the device would obtain the same IP address automatically each time) then setup a QOS upload rule and limit the device to 90% (entering the fixed IP address you just setup for the iColud device), with this in place, the device that is uploading to iCloud would be limited to 90% of the upload, leaving enough upload bandwidth to surf the web etc
TR1PL3D

Post by TR1PL3D »

billion_fan wrote:
TR1PL3D wrote:Hello,

What I would do is setup a fixed host (static lease) for the device (meaning the device would obtain the same IP address automatically each time) then setup a QOS upload rule and limit the device to 90% (entering the fixed IP address you just setup for the iColud device), with this in place, the device that is uploading to iCloud would be limited to 90% of the upload, leaving enough upload bandwidth to surf the web etc
Thanks for the reply.

That unfortunately would not be suitable I dont think, basically we watch a lot of streaming video in the evening and when someone plugs in a iOS device, the videos stop streaming! Ask them to unplug their device I hear you say! Wish it was that easy, asking someone not to charge their dead device does not go down too well in this house!

I know that setting the iOS device to 90% will leave 10% for browsing, but it would not leave enough for video streaming unfortunately. I know I could limit the iOS devices to say 10%, but then of course that would affect the upload bandwidth in total, ie not just restricting iCloud.

It is a difficult one and I have been looking for a few days to find a solution. It would be nice if Apple could have a little slider in the iCloud settings to limit the amount of bandwidth iCloud uses for backup, wouldn't take them 5 minutes to implement that into iOS!
omega1

Post by omega1 »

Hello TR1PL3D

Have you managed to find a solutions to this as I'm having a similar issues? I couldn't believe how supposedly inactive devices could effectively kill internet access for active users.

Thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

omega1 wrote:Hello TR1PL3D

Have you managed to find a solutions to this as I'm having a similar issues? I couldn't believe how supposedly inactive devices could effectively kill internet access for active users.

Thanks
Try following the attached rule (seems to work for others)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
omega1

Post by omega1 »

Hello Billion Fan

I set this up as suggested a few weeks back and it does seem to improved the situation. So thank you.

However, what is the thinking around the 90% setting; has this been arrived at empirically?

Thanks
omega
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

omega1 wrote:Hello Billion Fan

I set this up as suggested a few weeks back and it does seem to improved the situation. So thank you.

However, what is the thinking around the 90% setting; has this been arrived at empirically?

Thanks
omega
Limiting the upload to 90% leaves enough bandwidth for other devices to browse the internet (tested with others that had the same issue) as you can't limit the upload for your icloud backup on the device itself it will use up all the upload bandwidth, making web surfing etc unusable