When watching IPTV wifi devices lose internet connection

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
ledgie

Re: When watching IPTV wifi devices lose internet connection

Post by ledgie »

evansnp wrote:If I understand correctly, you have '8800 -> network switch -> IPTV/MAC'.
If this is the case, and the network switch is un-managed, then the network switch is the culprit, as it will flood the multicast traffic to all ports.
To make this setup work, the intermediate switch would need to support IGMP snooping too.
billion_fan wrote: You will have to have the you view box directly connected to the router, that's the only option (we can't really comment on how BT Home Hub runs the setup, as you know they don't disclose anything)
What you both say makes sense, thanks for the help.
ledgie

Post by ledgie »

Bit of a follow up.... multicast data is no longer flooding the Mac computer, so looks like the switch behind the TV is doing IMGP snooping and has now updated it's list of MAC addresses to send the multicast data to. :D
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

ledgie wrote:Bit of a follow up.... multicast data is no longer flooding the Mac computer, so looks like the switch behind the TV is doing IMGP snooping and has now updated it's list of MAC addresses to send the multicast data to. :D
Great news :D
MrChips

Post by MrChips »

I've followed the instructions on this thread to watch Bt TV on youview. It works fine for a few days. Bt TV streams fine. I can use other devices on the network absolutely fine. Then after a couple of days I get significant packet loss. Power cycle the router and all is fine again then after a couple of days the packet loss returns. Power cycle fixes it every time but only for couple of days. This is on the latest firmware 2,32e. This with the bt box on its own over ethernet, everything else connected is wireless via a wireless access point connected to a different ethernet port than the bt youview box. Have I found an issue with firmware? Is there a known fix?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

MrChips wrote:I've followed the instructions on this thread to watch Bt TV on youview. It works fine for a few days. Bt TV streams fine. I can use other devices on the network absolutely fine. Then after a couple of days I get significant packet loss. Power cycle the router and all is fine again then after a couple of days the packet loss returns. Power cycle fixes it every time but only for couple of days. This is on the latest firmware 2,32e. This with the bt box on its own over ethernet, everything else connected is wireless via a wireless access point connected to a different ethernet port than the bt youview box. Have I found an issue with firmware? Is there a known fix?
Try isolating the port the BT youview box is connected to

1. Set the IGMP Snooping Mode to 'Blocking Mode' and click on 'Apply' (normal default settings) (found on the configuration >> LAN page)
2. Click on 'Interface Grouping'
3. Click on 'Add'
4. Under 'Available WAN Interfaces' move both WAN's to the left hand box so both WAN's should be listed 'Grouped WAN Interfaces'
5. Under 'Available LAN Interfaces' select the port your you view box is attached to, and move it to the left so it is listed under 'Grouped LAN Interfaces'
6. Enter a 'Group Name' eg 'IPTV'
7. Click on 'Apply'
8. Click on 'Configuration >> LAN'
9. Change the 'Group Name' to 'IPTV'
10. Change the 'IGMP Snooping Mode' to 'Standard Mode'
11. Click on 'Apply'
12. Restart your you view box
MrChips

Post by MrChips »

Thanks Billion_fan. I've done this already - this is the current configuration, with the packet loss that reoccurs every few days.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

MrChips wrote:Thanks Billion_fan. I've done this already - this is the current configuration, with the packet loss that reoccurs every few days.
Did you also enable 'Wireless Multicast Forwarding (WMF)' on the Wireless >> Basic settings page

If you have I am not sure what the issue is as others don't have the same issue, unless there is a issue with the WAN connection after a couple of days.

Next time it happens, try the following

1. Drop the WAN connection (status >> WAN) and reconnect to see if that helps.
2. Drop the DSL connection (disconnect the DSL cable for 10 seconds and reconnect and see if the packet loss is gone)
MrChips

Post by MrChips »

"Did you also enable 'Wireless Multicast Forwarding (WMF)' on the Wireless >> Basic settings page"

I didn't but it didn't seem to need it as the other devices on the network worked fine when BT TV was streaming. I enabled it last night. I'll see how I get on. However, all the remaining devices on the network, other than BT TV, are on a Wireless AP connected to the router's ethernet (not the BT TV) port - so not sure if it will help as I'm not using the Billion's wireless. I do however use the Billion Wireless at the weekend - or should I say my step-son does as I've set up a scheduled guest network (which I don't use) only he does.

Thanks for the other tips. I'll try them. See how I get on. If the issue persists I'll reset to factory settings and not set up the IP TV and see if that helps. As this only started once I set up the IP TV - but it could be coincidence, but I don't know.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

MrChips wrote:"Did you also enable 'Wireless Multicast Forwarding (WMF)' on the Wireless >> Basic settings page"

I didn't but it didn't seem to need it as the other devices on the network worked fine when BT TV was streaming. I enabled it last night. I'll see how I get on. However, all the remaining devices on the network, other than BT TV, are on a Wireless AP connected to the router's ethernet (not the BT TV) port - so not sure if it will help as I'm not using the Billion's wireless. I do however use the Billion Wireless at the weekend - or should I say my step-son does as I've set up a scheduled guest network (which I don't use) only he does.

Thanks for the other tips. I'll try them. See how I get on. If the issue persists I'll reset to factory settings and not set up the IP TV and see if that helps. As this only started once I set up the IP TV - but it could be coincidence, but I don't know.
Also another test would be, once you start getting packet loss through the AP, is to try connecting directly to the routers main wifi, and see if the same issue occurs (this and a reset as you suggested without the BT you view box connected, might help to narrow down the issue)
MrChips

Post by MrChips »

OK. Thanks. Will do.