Can i use my 7800n to VPN to?

craney5

Can i use my 7800n to VPN to?

Post by craney5 »

Evening all

Just wondered if someone might be able to help me out. I have a 7800n router and i am going abroad next week and wondered if it would be possible to perhaps vpn to my 7800n router from my laptop and use the wol function to wake one of my machines on my lan to access some files. If it is indeed possible is it secure? It would also be great if i could vpn to the router then use rdp to remote into another machine on the lan as well. Would be even better if i could use the internet through it to watch iplayer while abroad

I do see the vpn option in the router page but im just a little daunted by it :lol:

Hope someone might be able to help.
billion_fan

Re: Can i use my 7800n to VPN to?

Post by billion_fan »

You should be able to VPN into the router and wake up your PC.

Yes it is secure using MSCHAP V2, encryption upto 128bits

Yes you can use RDP, as once you have a VPN connection, you should then be inside the local network (your comp will get a internal IP address from your 7800N, so like you were at home on the internal network)

Regarding the BBC iPlayer, you will have to set static DNS servers to your VPN tunnel on your PC, (once you setup a PPTP connection, you can configure the DNS settings on your comp (windows based), as the 7800N does not pass DNS servers over PPTP VPN)

On the attached link is a post by me, showing how your VPN should be setup.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18
craney5

Post by craney5 »

Thanks so much billion fan thats helped me out heaps! I will have a play around with it tonight when i get home and try and get it to work. I had read a few things regarding pptp not being very safe mainly due to the encription used but im only really looking to be able to use the function to wake a machine up :D

I take it once the vpn connection has been made i can simply just log into the router on its normal 192.168.1.254 address in the web address bar and go into it to use the WOL feature? I guess this would be the same with RDP, i would just need to rdp from my laptop (at work) the local address of the machine or machine name i wish to access i.e 192.168.1.1 or liam-desktop so to speak?

Thanks again pal much appreciated
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

craney5 wrote:Thanks so much billion fan thats helped me out heaps! I will have a play around with it tonight when i get home and try and get it to work. I had read a few things regarding pptp not being very safe mainly due to the encription used but im only really looking to be able to use the function to wake a machine up :D

I take it once the vpn connection has been made i can simply just log into the router on its normal 192.168.1.254 address in the web address bar and go into it to use the WOL feature? I guess this would be the same with RDP, i would just need to rdp from my laptop (at work) the local address of the machine or machine name i wish to access i.e 192.168.1.1 or liam-desktop so to speak?

Thanks again pal much appreciated

Yes thats right, once you are connected via VPN, you can connect the router on 192.168.1.254, and for RDP 192.168.1.1
craney5

Post by craney5 »

Perfect thanks again! Think i might have to signup to DDNS as my IP changes from time to time as well which could prove to be a pain if i dont note it down before hand
craney5

Post by craney5 »

EDIT

Just wanted to say Billion Fan it worked like a charm thanks so much!!! very surprising how easy it was to setup Created an outgoing vpn from my laptop running win 7 to a workplace i.e my home dialled in 1st time and used the wol feature to unhibernate my media machine to setp something to record well chuffed! All of this was done via my iphone teether connected to my laptop as well

Thanks again
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

craney5 wrote:EDIT

Just wanted to say Billion Fan it worked like a charm thanks so much!!! very surprising how easy it was to setup Created an outgoing vpn from my laptop running win 7 to a workplace i.e my home dialled in 1st time and used the wol feature to unhibernate my media machine to setp something to record well chuffed! All of this was done via my iphone teether connected to my laptop as well

Thanks again

Thats great news :D
craney5

Post by craney5 »

One other quick thing if you dont mind ;) I have noticed that when i use my iphone to teether for my laptop then vpn to my 7800n router i no longer have an internet connection on the laptop. Would this perhaps be a dns issue?

Under the dhcp server setting of the 7800n i have "use router as dns server" ticked, primary and secondary dns servers underneath are left blank. On the status page its showing me the primary dns server is 90.207.238.97 which i guess might be sky's default dns servers as they are my isp. Another strange thing i noticed was the gateway being displayed was 89.200.xxx.xxx I thought the gateway was actually my router 192.168.1.254? the subnet mask was also showing a 255.255.255.255 dont know if thats just a bug or not tho as im pretty sure im running a 255.255.255.0 sub

Hope you might be able to shed some light on this for me

Thanks again
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

(Thought I'll drop a quick reply during half time)

On your VPN connection on your comp you need to set static DNS servers (Right click on your VPN conenction and go to Properties), the router will not pass dns servers over to the client, as mentioned before, if you want to route traffic over the tunnel then you must enter static DNS servers eg 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

The gateway showing as 89.200.xxx.xxx is a external gateway, 192.168.1.254 is a natted internal gateway. The subnet showing as 255.255.255.255 means only 1 IP is allocated.

There is nothing more you need to set on the router, your PC only needs the DNS servers set to the VPN tunnel and you should be fine.
craney5

Post by craney5 »

Thanks again mate i shall give this a whirl now. With regards to replying during half time your not a gooner are you :D ?