Open ports

General discussions for anything not model specific
nigelb

Open ports

Post by nigelb » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:54 am

I need a kind, considerate, explanation of any 'risks' involved in Port Forwarding please! I have a 8800 NL R1. I have ports opened by Plex and Anydesk and I have set a camera to an open port. All three appear to be 'permanently' open in the Virtual Servers list. Up to now I have used Teamviewer for access to other machines.

Installation of Plex and Anydesk seems to set these ports open. Teamviewer installation does not (and I have not been able to 'see' any port opening when I connect with TV?).

My 'newbie' question is - is there any risk from having these ports set open at all times and why do I not see any port open with TV?

billion_fan

Re: Open ports

Post by billion_fan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:37 am

nigelb wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:54 am
I need a kind, considerate, explanation of any 'risks' involved in Port Forwarding please! I have a 8800 NL R1. I have ports opened by Plex and Anydesk and I have set a camera to an open port. All three appear to be 'permanently' open in the Virtual Servers list. Up to now I have used Teamviewer for access to other machines.

Installation of Plex and Anydesk seems to set these ports open. Teamviewer installation does not (and I have not been able to 'see' any port opening when I connect with TV?).

My 'newbie' question is - is there any risk from having these ports set open at all times and why do I not see any port open with TV?
There are always risks when opening ports to everyone on the internet. (normally if there are open ports to a device/application you should make sure there is a username and password for added security eg like a NVR, once you try to access via your WAN IP and port, it will prompt you for a username and password)

With teamviewer I think its different as this makes a outbound connection,

nigelb

Post by nigelb » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Thanks, BF. I was just puzzled why the ports were open when the service is not in use. With Anydesk, can I assume that incoming calls would need to be validated with the desktop access code before they get through, but is the router itself vulnerable?

Would you say on balance that TViewer is therefore 'safer' than Anydesk?

billion_fan

Post by billion_fan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:17 am

nigelb wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:37 pm
Thanks, BF. I was just puzzled why the ports were open when the service is not in use. With Anydesk, can I assume that incoming calls would need to be validated with the desktop access code before they get through, but is the router itself vulnerable?

Would you say on balance that TViewer is therefore 'safer' than Anydesk?
Yes