Bipac 8800AXL R2 refuses new connections on 5gHz channel

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL
Post Reply
Ksaro1
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:34 am

Bipac 8800AXL R2 refuses new connections on 5gHz channel

Post by Ksaro1 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:25 am

FYI - my BiPac router has been frequently refusing new or re connections on the 5gHz channel. I raised this issue with Billion support and they provided a solution, which I pass on to anyone else who may be seeing this same issue.

The default setting of max clients for both 2.4 & 5 gHz is 16. However, this number is much less than what the router can handle. Billion support suggested that I up this number on the 5 gHz channel to 24. This max client setting can be found under the Configuration -> WIreless 5G (or 2.4G) -> Advanced. There the max for 5gHz is listed as 80 and for 2.4gHz it's 128. However, Billion support suggested not going above 24 for the 5gHz.

I set the max clients of both 2.4 & 5 gHz to 24. Since changing this setting I no longer find my devices losing connection and being refused a new connection.

BTW - the total connected devices for both 2.4 & 5 gHz channels that I have at my home has been right on 16 or more. So, my guess is that the limit of per-channel clients is actually a total limit for both channels. Billion support have not confirmed this suspicion. However, as mentioned above, since I've upped the max clients on both channels I've not seen the refusals any more.

dlorde
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:36 am

Re: Bipac 8800AXL R2 refuses new connections on 5gHz channel

Post by dlorde » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:46 pm

Yes, thanks for this - I've just been having this problem on my 8800NL while setting up some smart sockets and was getting my mobile losing connection with "Access point temporarily full".

I was concerned when I found the wifi max clients was 16 and the setting was also 16, but going past the 'basic' settings to 'advanced' settings showed the 'Global' max was 128 and currently set to 16. I doubled it to 30, and the 'basic' maximum changed to 30...

No problems since then.

Post Reply