Google Wi-Fi with 8900 in "modem only" mode?

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
John21

Google Wi-Fi with 8900 in "modem only" mode?

Post by John21 »

Any ideas how to put this router into "modem only" mode so that I can buy and use Google Wi-Fi?

I really need much longer range/coverage than a single router can provide these days, and in the absence of a mesh network from Billion, Google Wi-Fi seems to be my best bet?

How do I deactivate everything so that it's just in modem only mode so everything goes through Google Wi-Fi?

Thanks! :D
billion_fan

Re: Google Wi-Fi with 8900 in "modem only" mode?

Post by billion_fan »

John21 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:54 pm Any ideas how to put this router into "modem only" mode so that I can buy and use Google Wi-Fi?

I really need much longer range/coverage than a single router can provide these days, and in the absence of a mesh network from Billion, Google Wi-Fi seems to be my best bet?

How do I deactivate everything so that it's just in modem only mode so everything goes through Google Wi-Fi?

1. Login to the router and click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service'
2. Delete all WAN interfaces so you are left with the '3G/4G LTE' interface
3. Click on 'Add' (to add a new interface)
4. Follow one of the attached screen shots for your connection type ( two examples attached ADSL and VDSL/Fibre depending on your connection)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John21

Post by John21 »

billion_fan wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:22 am
John21 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:54 pm Any ideas how to put this router into "modem only" mode so that I can buy and use Google Wi-Fi?

4. Follow one of the attached screen shots for your connection type ( two examples attached ADSL and VDSL/Fibre depending on your connection)
I should probably have advised that I'm on Sky Fibre Max in the UK, so this unfortunately didn't work for me since Google Wi-Fi can't connect to Sky using the option 61 settings etc..

Is there any way I can get the 8900 to go into modem mode and connect to Sky for me, and then for Google Wi-Fi to handle the rest? I've been looking up things online and have seen numerous people with double NAT problems etc..

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it! :D
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

John21 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:15 am
billion_fan wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:22 am

I should probably have advised that I'm on Sky Fibre Max in the UK, so this unfortunately didn't work for me since Google Wi-Fi can't connect to Sky using the option 61 settings etc..

Is there any way I can get the 8900 to go into modem mode and connect to Sky for me, and then for Google Wi-Fi to handle the rest? I've been looking up things online and have seen numerous people with double NAT problems etc..

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it! :D
If your google wifi can't authenticate, then you can't use modem only mode, so you will suffer from double NAT issues. (when both are set in routing mode)

The only option is to set the google wifi network to AP mode only, so DHCP/routing etc will be performed by the 8900, and all the google wifi does is extend the network
John21

Post by John21 »

What if I just configure Google Wifi via DMZ? Does that do anything?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

John21 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:52 am What if I just configure Google Wifi via DMZ? Does that do anything?
That could work
johngc

Post by johngc »

HI,

Apologies for jumping on this thread but I am doing something very similar - I would like the router in modem only mode in order that I can connect to a PFSense box and then onto my AP's.

For testing purposes, am I able to add a new WAN service as described but just route it through one of the ports and leave the remainder on the existing VDSL WAN service?

I don't want to kill my Internet connection and not have a backup!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

johngc wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:14 am HI,

Apologies for jumping on this thread but I am doing something very similar - I would like the router in modem only mode in order that I can connect to a PFSense box and then onto my AP's.

For testing purposes, am I able to add a new WAN service as described but just route it through one of the ports and leave the remainder on the existing VDSL WAN service?

I don't want to kill my Internet connection and not have a backup!
Yes you should be able to add a extra WAN bridge interface, but you won't be able to make a connection as the existing WAN PTM interface is already connected/authenticated.

I would advise making a backup of your current config file, (Configuration >>> System >> Backup / Update), then delete your WAN interfaces, and then add a bridge interface, if it doesn't work you can restore your config file back to normal working state